CLASSIC STRAWBERRY WINE – 4.5 L
Suitable yeasts – Any champagne yeast like EC1118 or white wine yeasts like CY17 or SN9
2kg firm strawberries
1kg-ish of sugar to 1.09SG
About 4.5 litres boiled and cooled water
Juice of 2 lemons
Half cup of strong tea
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Sachet of yeast
1. Trim and wash the strawberries
2. Mash the strawberries with a potato masher, mix in most of the sugar in a litre of boiling water, cover and leave for a day or two until it pureés
3. Once the strawberries have puréed strain through sterilised muslin, then pour the now cooled water through it to extract all the strawberry flavour. It can be stirred but do not squeeze the mush as this extracts bitter tastes
3a. (optional) Add pectolaise and leave covered for 12 to 24 hours.
4. Adjust sugar level to 1.09SG, Stir in the strong tea, lemon juice and yeast nutrient and the yeast and leave in primary. The primary fermentation vessel needs be big enough to contain the explosive fermentation as strawberries tend to foam a lot!
5. Siphon into a demijohn when primary fermentation ends – this is usually very quick at 4 or 5 days,
6. Rack after a month, then 2 months after that if needed, then leave to bulk age for 3 months.
Can be drunk after six months of pitching the yeast, ready in nine and great after 12 but this will not last beyond 2 years. Good as a sweet or dry wine so it can be stabilized and backsweetened to taste. No need to oak.